31 May 2010

Inspiration behind the DIG logo

A logo is an important element of the business. I wanted a simple and classic logo that will survive the test of time, the life of the business (which I’m planning will take me into retirement...) and will also reflect the essence of me and my love of designing with inspiring plants.

 
I worked with the creative Nikita and Georgia and the lovely Kel Doolan from Worldwide Printing, Mount Waverley. They spent the necessary time with me to understand me, my business objectives what I was looking for and what I wasn’t.

From these discussions I was resolved to include somehow the flower of Doryanthes excelsa, Gymea or Spear Lily as it is otherwise known as. It's by far one of my favourites. You will see a floret (a single flower within a larger inflorescence) included into the G of DIG.

Doryanthes excelsa is just a fantastic Australian native plant. It is striking in the landscape. The plant forms a large clump with sword-like leaves to 1 meter high. The flower stems sit up high above the clump with stems of between 2 to 4 m high. Flowering occurs from late Spring to early Summer.

It is a versatile plant to include in garden designs. It can be used well as a specimen/accent plant or used on mass in the right situations in large gardens for an amazing effect. This plant is being incorporated into a current design proposal to be planted as a group under a Melia azedarach a deciduous Australian native valued for it’s form and fragrant flowers.

If you want to know more about any plants written in my blogs then please don’t hesitate to ask. I can give you more information or guide you to good books or internet sites. For information on Australian natives go to http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/index.html

Enjoy the Doryanthes and I hope you start seeing them around your travels. They are planted in many public gardens of Melbourne, so keep your eyes peeled, especially as the spear-like flower stems start to emerge.

1 comment:

  1. The design looks great. Doryathes is a great choice of plant.Denise

    ReplyDelete